A sore back can be a pain in the butt

 
http://piriformissyndrome.healthnewsshout.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Piriformis-Syndrome-300x300.jpg
When addressing pain in the body it is important to search out the source of your pain.  In most cases the source can be either below or above the area that demonstrated the most pain. This has been very relevant for me while dealing with a back injury.





I was in a dirt bike accident that caused a slipped disc.  The pain in my lower back was intense and even shot down my leg.  Recovery was 6 months of rehabilitation.  Through rehab we discovered some muscles that needed massage that were no where near my pain.  This taught me a lot about searching all areas of the body for tight spots.

The dirt bike accident occurred several years ago but at times the pain returns.  I become extremely tight in the low back, and very limited in movements.  The pain occurs on the left side of my lower back between the L4 and L5 vertebrae.  To help alleviate this pain I search using my favorite; the travel roller.


http://alignwellness.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/piriformis.jpg?w=428&h=437Through using a travel roller and trigger point balls the origin of my pain is quickly found.  In most cases the muscles along the lower spine are extremely tight.  Also the piriformis muscle remains extremely tight and cramped.  While using the roller and gently rotating over the tight area in my gluteal region the pain in my lower back dissipates.   

Getting to know the origins of your pain is a fantastic way to remain mobile and limber.



 I like to call this technique "search and destroy".  In other words, "search" your body for tight spots and spend time applying pressure and it will "destroy" the pain.

Click here to learn additional techniques



Good luck, and happy rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment