Is age a limiting factor?

My client demographic seems to be aging,  a majority of my clients are over the age of 50.

This age group continues to impress me in many ways:
  • Their work ethic is amazing
  • Their  passion to learn proper technique is impressive
  • Their goals and dreams remain strong
This age group has taught me so much about mortality, goal setting, longevity and how to maintain a youthful outlook on life.

Most days I feel as though I learn more from my over 50 clients then they learn from me.

I would like to share a quick story that impressed me greatly:

Today's workout included a 1 RM deadlift.

Before the workout started one of my clients said "I'm gonna deadlift 200 lbs today" ...keep in mind that his previous best was 155 lbs for 5 reps with a body weight of 165 lbs at age 64.

Ted 200 lb deadlift 1 RM
Let's say that I was a bit skeptical at first so we slowly worked up to his previous best lift and then added small increments to the load.  While I observed his form with a "hawk eye".  If there had been any poor technique we would have stopped.

Here is how it went:

165 x 3...then 175 x 3...then 185 x 3...195 x 2 then came 200 x 1

Great job Ted!!  Keep up the good work.

Ted most definitely has not allowed age to be his limiting factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment