My weight gain challenge: Day 90

90 days ago I wrote a blog post that explained my difficulty gaining weight.  The strategy in May was to work with heavier loads and increase my calorie consumption.

Over the last three months I managed to increase my calorie consumption while still eating clean.  I've also moved some heavier weight in many movements; from Front Squats to Dead lifts and Snatches.  This has allowed me to gain some muscle mass and increase strength, while maintaining a healthy body fat percentage.

I have fallen short on my original weight gain goal, of 10 - 15 pounds, due to a few factors:
  • a case of the flu in July (lost a few pounds)
  • programming too many metcons
  • no hypertrophy training 
The results of my efforts so far:

May 19th 2011 at 173 pounds
August 16th 2011 at 178 pounds

May 19 2011:

Height:             6' 2"
Body weight:   173.2 lbs
Body fat:          7.4%
Muscle mass:  152.4 lbs

August 19th 2011:

Height:             6' 2"
Body weight:   178.1 lbs
Body fat:          8.2%
Muscle mass:  154 lbs






 My biggest mistake was trying to gain weight in the summer...
... "What was I thinking?"

Weight gain mission will continue during the Fall/Winter season.

For now its prep time for Fight Gone Bad 6 with the Fitness Town Team.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I am a woman naturally thin and been weight training 3x week free weights, kettlebell, mix of trx for 4 + years. I supplement that with yoga and pilates. I lost weight (which I didn't want to do), got toned, which I did want to do but now, I want to gain 10 pounds and I can't. I know this sounds crazy for a woman. I have not done one thing for a month (I had foot surgery) and actually lost some weight. I am getting back to my program in a week or so and want to focus on building. Any thoughts from your plan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MsMojo, without a proper assessment my thoughts are generalized.

    After clearance from your doctor:

    -focus on multi joint movements
    (squats, dead lifts, Bench press, pull ups)

    -increase your calorie consumption
    (lean protein, vegetables, nuts and seeds)

    Hiring a trainer or joining a CrossFit gym will help you develop proper technique with the multi joint movements.

    If you need further information send me and email: keith@realfitplus.com

    Hope this helps :)
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete